For the little artist in your life or the art enthusiast, The Westmoreland Museum of American Art offers week-long art camps where children can explore their creativity through fun, innovative programs taught by a professional art instructor. Each camp features a different theme, and campers spend time both in the galleries and the Museum’s studio space throughout the week. This is a wonderful opportunity for children to express themselves through art in a variety of ways this summer!
Summer Camps for Kids in Greensburg
Is your child ready for an action packed, fun-filled summer? There are plenty of Summer Camps for kids in Greensburg plus programs and activities going on throughout the summer to keep those kiddos occupied all summer long!
The Greensburg Hempfield Library Programs
The Greensburg Hempfield Area Library has a ton of activities and programs for kids of all ages this summer. There are so many fun activities going on we couldn’t list them all! When we were younger, reading was (and still is) one of our favorite things to do during the summer. Having a wonderful library right in downtown Greensburg allows so many children to do awesome activities for free! Here are a few highlights of some of their programs, but make sure to check out their website for the full list.
Summer Quest Reading Program
- The Library’s Summer Reading Program focuses on learning activities and experiences that meet children where they are and help them achieve their own goals and further their own interests. Sign up at the Library May 29-July 14, decide what fun Quests your child wants to explore this summer either at the Library, in the community or at home! Turn in your completed Quest Card by August 4 and attend the Summer Reading Club Picnic on August 9!
- Kick off the Summer Quest with their Pennsylvania Rocks event at St. Clair Park on June 14! Explore the music being made in Pennsylvania from the very beginning, sing traditional songs, play authentic instruments and celebrate an Appalachian ‘Corn-shuckin’ party!
Mondays in the Park
- Join The Greensburg Hempfield Library at St. Clair Park on Mondays throughout the summer starting June 18 at 1pm where books will come alive! Stage Right will be performing childhood favorites for your little reader all summer long!
Fairy Gardeners Extraordinaire – Ages 3-5
- Would your child like to build and tend a garden for fairies outside the library? Weekly the Library will branch into areas appropriate for every fairy gardener. This may be their first experience with gardening … or an opportunity to build on what they already know. For all, it will be a fanciful, creative time when gardeners will make discoveries and share enchantments. Sign up for all 8 weeks and see what the fairies are up to through the summer!
Computer Coding Club – Ages of 10
Is your child interested in computers and robotics? Are they looking for a fun and hands-on way to learn about these things? If so, join the Library’s coding club this summer! Learn about basic computer and coding concepts and have a great time doing it!
From STEM and science experiment programs, to gardening, to coding, to music, to story hours, to tween and teen programs, to a Harry Potter Escape Room day, and more, The Greensburg Hempfield Area Library has a variety of programs that will be perfect for so many children this summer! Programs are free but require registration in advance. Visit the Library website to discover their entire summer program schedule and to register!
The Westmoreland Museum of American Art Summer Camps
Inside/Outside June 11-15
- Come along with The Westmoreland Museum of American Art on a road trip of American art. Campers explore the Museum inside and out, and discover how American artists have answered the question: “What makes art inside or outside art?” Using a variety of materials, campers will create two- and three-dimensional art inside and outside the Museum, topping off the week with an exhibit on the last day of camp!
Roadside Giants and Other Surprises June 18-22
- Art campers will create a “roadside giant” as inspired by examples of these larger-than-life sculptures found along the Lincoln Highway and across America. They will explore fantasy and storytelling in American art and create their own masterpieces from paint, papier-mâché and more.
Twists and Turns July 16-20
- Following a road map across the country, you will find something new around every turn. Examine how American artists use curves in their work. All week campers will be twisting and turning with wire, paint, reeds and more to create art that will amaze! On the last day of camp, campers will share the excitement of our work with family and friends in an art camp exhibit!
This Land is Your Land July 23-27
- Artists are often inspired by what they know best. You don’t have to travel far to find beauty around you. Using techniques similar to some of Pennsylvania’s celebrated artists, campers will be creating works of art to highlight the beauty of what we know best, our Pennsylvania home.
Obstacle Course to Art August 13-17
- What does it take to make great art or be recognized as an artist? While creating a variety of projects, campers will explore some obstacles American artists have faced on their artistic road trip. Projects will include painting, fibers and sculpture. You may be surprised to see that an obstacle is a challenge, but not a limitation. Come and take on the challenge with The Westmoreland!
For more information about The Westmoreland Museum of American Art’s Summer Camps, please visit their website.
Greensburg YMCA Adventure and Sports Camps
The Greensburg YMCA, has 3 locations for their summer Adventure Camp, with plenty of activities going on to burn all of that summer energy! For Adventure Camp you have the choice of the Greensburg YMCA, West Hempfield or Unity Township locations.
- Greensburg YMCA: offers a more traditional camp feel with outdoor activities, daily swimming, local excursions, theme related crafts, educational projects, character development and weekly field trips.
- West Hempfield Elementary (WHE): will incorporate experiments, outdoor play, group games, character development, and arts and crafts all based on a weekly theme. Campers will swim once a week at the Greensburg YMCA and enjoy weekly field trips. b
- Unity Township: offers kayaking, canoeing, fishing, hiking, theme related crafts, weekly swimming at the Greensburg YMCA, character development and weekly field trips.
Their Sports Camps, for your little athlete are filled with drills and skill development, daily swimming, sport specific games, a focus on positive sportsmanship, character development and weekly field trips.
There is no deadline for sign ups for camp as they have an open enrollment policy. If you are interested in signing your child up please be sure to sign up at least the Monday before the week of care needed. For more info visit here.
The Greensburg Art Center Camps and Classes
For young creatives, summer is the time for art and the Greensburg Art Center has plenty of classes to keep your little artist creating all summer long!
- Arts, Exploration and Imagination Camp July 30-August 3 for ages 8-12: Your artist will learn about the art of science, building a collage from an emotion, creating art from nature and more!
- Summer Arts and Imagination Camp August 14-16 ages 5-7: This camp will encourage artists to draw how words make them feel, creating color wheels and more!
Not only does the Greensburg Art Center have a couple of camps, but also wonderful art classes including, Clay for Kids, Celebrate Summer, Creative Art for Preschoolers, Pop-Up Summer Art and plenty of clay, painting and drawing classes for highschoolers! Learn more and sign up for classes on their website.
Stage Right Summer Camps
Musical Theatre Camp
Starting at 9am every day, students begin their core classes which are comprised of Acting, Voice, Jazz, Tap, and Modern dance. Each class is designed to give kids a lot of information in a very short amount of time. Acting classes work on monologues and scenes as well as technique. Dance classes are meant to introduce and strengthen technique and stretch ability. Voice classes are designed to expand repertoire and enforce singing fundamentals while ensuring healthy vocal production. All classes are taught by trained professionals. Each camp runs for 3 weeks, with the first 2 weeks being classes in the morning and rehearsals after lunch, the third week focuses on rehearsals and tech for the end of camp show.
Camp #1 June 11-30
- Ages 8-12 will perform ‘The Little Mermaid Jr.’ on June 29
- Ages 13-18 will perform ‘Children of Eden’ on June 20
- Camp #2 July 9-28
- Ages 8-12 will perform ‘The Lion King Jr.’ on July 27
- Ages 13-18 will perform ‘Sweeney Todd’ on July 28
Stars of Tomorrow Camp
The Stage Right Stars of Tomorrow pre-schoolers camp runs from July 30-August 3rd for children 4-7. This is the perfect starting point for anyone interested in being on stage. Students are encouraged to stretch their imaginations, increase their confidence, and create characters. Students play theatre games, learn the basics of singing, take beginner tap and jazz classes, and take part in a live performance at the end of camp. This summer the camp will culminate with a production of “Musicville” A Musical journey that teaches kids about overcoming obstacles and the importance of working together on August 3.
Spectrum Theatre Initiative
Stage Right’s Theatre Camp for Children with special needs is an exciting new program that uses drama, music and dance to work with children with autism and other special needs to discover new things about themselves and the world around them through music, drama and dance. Developed by Renata Marino and based on national autism programs, this experience engages and challenges your child. Additionally, it encourages them to connect with themselves, social situations and each other in deep and enriching ways.
Summer Camp Technical Theatre Track
Students will learn about Stage Managing, Costumes, Props, Lighting, Set Building/Painting and the many other practical skills that go into making the magic happen onstage! Taught by experienced technical theatre professionals. This track can be added to the Music Theatre Camp core classes.
There is plenty to do this summer for kids of all ages and we are sure you will find something for everyone! Share your child’s summer camp experience in Greensburg with us using #Gbgsummercampfun on Instagram and Twitter, make sure to give us a follow and a tag!